Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Connector rated voltage vs IPC-2221B and IEC 62368

Parent

Connector rated voltage vs IPC-2221B and IEC 62368

+2
−0

Rosenberger 23C25D-40ML5 specifies 500V RMS rating: Image_alt_text Image_alt_text

Looking at the recommended landing pattern you can see that the distance between the signal landing pad and housing of the connector is 0.3025‬mm. IPC-2221B specifies minimum conductor spacing of 0.8mm for external component termination, uncoated for 151-170V, which is already considerably larger spacing than the footprint.

IEC 62368 specified minimum creepage distance for basic insulation, pollution degree 1 (Most favorable) and 500V RMS as 1.3mm, which is also considerably larger.

I have 2 questions:

1.) If I use this connector at its rated working voltage, does that automatically mean I am not complying to IEC 62368 safety standard?

2.) Would the only circumstance under which this connector could be used at its rated voltage be when the design does not have to comply with safety regulations?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Basic insulation (1 comment)
−0
If I use this connector at its rated working voltage, does that automatically mean I am not complying to IEC 62368 safety standard?

The pattern you reference seems to assume one side of all eight signals are tied together. If that is really true, then I don't see how to interpret working voltage as anything other than the RMS voltage of each signal. In that case, it seems you are right in that this connector can't meet the standard you quote if you have signals up to the rated voltage (500 VRMS).

If I'm misinterpreting the layout diagram and each circuit is insulated from the others, then maybe the voltage spec is circuit to circuit. In that case the spacing is higher.

Would the only circumstance under which this connector could be used at its rated voltage be when the design does not have to comply with safety regulations?

If all circuits share a common connection being, then I think you're right.

I guess their spec means their connector alone won't arc or leak with 500 VRMS signals. That doesn't mean it's a good idea or that you might not run afoul of other rules, that it works with real boards with real humidity and dirt, etc.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Pollution level (1 comment)
Pollution level
Nick Alexeev‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

Elleanor Lopez‭ Are you certain that you have pollution level 1, and not 2 ? Pollution level 1 is a sealed enclosure. Pollution level 2 is a PCB in a vented enclosure under room conditions (say a motherboard in a desktop PC). Pollution level 2 is the default when you have neither aggravating factors nor sealed enclosure.