Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Is ESD overhyped?

Is ESD overhyped?

+8
−0

I have seen many engineers talk about ESD protection but I had never seen its effects myself. I made many small DIY projects and I have used bare hands to touch ICs and their pins,but nothing got destroyed(I mean ICs functioned well). Is it really that serious? Please tell and also its mitigating measures. I experimented with a mosfet just now by rubbing my fingers on its terminals. It is an n-channel mosfet called IRF510,and its datasheet is here . I observed that mosfet is working well by checking with a multimeter in diode mode i.e drain is connected to common of multimeter and source to positive one.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
Andy aka‭ wrote over 3 years ago

There are plenty of references to be found on google on this subject so pick one and, if still confused then ask a more specific question.

aditya98‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Andy aka ,I have edited my question and please see that.

Andy aka‭ wrote over 3 years ago

ESD can cause damage that only shows itself when operating in a real circuit close to its voltage limits. In other words, ESD can degrade a component that causes it to fail early and not immediately.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

In general, old standard logic circuits were very sensitive to ESD. Most newer parts no matter the kind has some manner of ESD protection. Still, it happens now and then that something breaks through ESD. Often the rare, mysterious kind of errors where a part breaks after some time in the field and you can't explain why. Similarly, when doing formal ESD testing, it is often some unexpected part that goes, some scenario you didn't consider etc.