"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How can I debug, (and eventually fix) this Roomba PCB?

How can I debug, (and eventually fix) this Roomba PCB? [closed]

+2
−1

Closed as off topic by Nick Alexeev‭ on Dec 10, 2020 at 19:21

This question is not within the scope of Electrical Engineering.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

I've got a broken roomba, I've tried new batteries and a working charger.

The charger is supposed to output 20V-24W when the roomba is plugged in.

the picture just shows how I'm measuring the power taken from the charger. I bought a Power Meter for this purpose. A functional roomba shows between 20-24W when the battery is charging, but mine shows between 0.8W-1.6W when the problem roomba is supposed to be charging.

voltage reading

My multi meter shows no connection from positive to positive pcb -> charger connector, but someone told me I could be seeing strange readings due to the Charging Mosfets. So now I'm stumped on how to continue debugging this. There is detected connection from Negative -> Negative.

Continuity tests on the PCB -> charger

Multimeter shows no connection positive -> positive

PCB Side 1

PCB side 1

PCB Side 2

PCB side 2

Additional info:
For testing I've disconnected everything except the Battery -> PCB and connector for PCB -> Charger.
The charger has 2 metal plates that attach to the roomba's 2 metal plates.
The Roomba was working at one time. I only know this based on the amount of dirt inside the roomba.
There is no issue with the charger or the battery. Both have tested in a working roomba
The roomba (model 690) uses a 14.4V Lithium Battery

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

Canina‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I don't know how the Roomba charging circuitry is designed, but it's not at all unreasonable, particularly in consumer electronics, to not have direct DC connectivity between a charger's output side and a built-in battery. If it uses a lithium-based battery chemistry (a good guess in today's world, though I don't know), then all the more so.

dustytrash‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@canina it IS a lithium battery, the older models used nimh, but this one uses Lithium (690). Unfortunately there's no way to get a hold of the schematic as there's no way irobot would provide it.

Canina‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@dustytrash Even if you had access to a full and accurate schematic, that looks a whole lot like a multi-layer PCB to me, and it's definitely packed with surface-mount components including delicate ICs. Even if you had the knowledge, that's not something you "fix" with tools even most electronics enthusiasts would be likely to have at home; let alone if you had to go buy a power meter to determine the current draw of the charger, and are stumped once someone talks about power MOSFETs. Sorry.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

This post is discussed on meta here.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

PCB side 2 shows a lot of signs of a poor solder job. Check the top right corner of the last pic for example (looks like 0402). Probably they configured the placement machine poorly - there's too much solder everywhere and the potential for shorts looks extensive. Get some dirt on the board and anything can happen.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

The fuse F1 on the top side lower right corner looks like it's been through a lot of heat, and the solder joints look a bit fishy too. These are supposed to be recoverable fuses, but I'd definitely replace that one still, though I can't tell what exact part it is. Though of course, if it is blown, the actual problem is likely a short elsewhere on the board.