Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Quality control of the site

Quality control of the site

+4
−3

Let's take a look at the state of affairs for the past few weeks on this forum.

For the past two weeks, some users has been posting a lot of questions, a lot of them self-answered. This is not a problem per se, as sharing knowledge is very important.

But let's look at these questions. They are very short and very specific and poorly edited. Clearly the community at large does not like them, with 2-4 downvotes for each.

However, it looks like there is no quality control regarding these posts. I am the last person to advocate for question deletion, as what is immediately obvious to one can be confusing for another, but clearly there is minimal effort put into these posts.

To quote the guidelines:

We expect questions here to be well thought out, well written, with relevant background info, and to the point. Remember, this isn't a kaffeeklatsch, and we don't want chit-chat. We do want good questions that allow good answers to be written.

Why has there been no moderation on the site in the past two weeks, even if the questions I am referring to clearly do not fit the site's own guidelines?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

The larger problem is activity (1 comment)
The larger problem is activity
Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago

The larger problem is site activity, there's barely anyone posting questions. A couple of users repeatedly asking diverse questions might just be what the site needs, no matter question quality. All of these questions were perfectly on-topic, mind you. So they are already far higher quality than DIY repair questions of 230VAC equipment or "I just found an Arduino in a packet of corn flakes" questions... And in comparison with how bad things could be, here are some random question titles grabbed from the front page of EE.se today: "How to chose the right voltage and coil(s) for coilgun?", "Can I use medical injection water to fill lead acid battery?", "How would I go about creating a machine to provide resistance to every human joint enough to stop that joint from moving?"