Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Creating a FAQ: how to read a datasheet

Parent

Creating a FAQ: how to read a datasheet

+5
−0

After reading various low quality questions Someplace Else today, it (once again) occurred to me that a whole lot of people, mostly hobbyists and engineering students, have no clue how to do the most basic thing of all: how to read a datasheet.

Specifically, what the various parts such as absolute maximum ratings and electrical characteristics mean. What parameters to design after and which ones that are stress values. How to design with margins. How to quickly determine if a certain part is suitable for one's purpose and so on.

There's also lots of engineer jargon like analog/digital characteristics, ambient/junction temperature etc where the reader is expected to know what it means in advance.

I know of no reliable online resources that tell you have to read a datasheet, so I thought about creating a FAQ post about it here. The target audience should be electrical engineering students, not complete laymen.

Ideally this would be some community-maintained project that many users can contribute to, but we don't have "community wiki" like SE.

Question: what is the best way to create a FAQ post like this here if I want multiple users to contribute and maintain the post? The "Papers" category don't quite seem to fit the bill(?).

I am also interested in feedback about what part that would be a good example datasheet. I was thinking about using the classic LM317 LDO from TI as an example, since it's a common and reasonably complex product, but not overwhelmingly so. (And this post shouldn't need to get deep into the technical details.) The datasheet from TI is very good and detailed, containing everything one might expect to find in a generic datasheet, including some extras like lots of applications and layout advise.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

How about this:

• I create a meta thread here where everyone is welcome to post contents, feedback and proposed changes.
  • The question of the meta thread should contain a continuously updated draft, which everyone can leave feedback to for at least a couple of weeks.
  • Then I create a Paper category post as self-answered Q&A in my own name, with a link to the meta post.
  • If new proposed changes are posted on the meta thread, I'll get notified by the site and then I can update the Paper post accordingly.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

I guess, if that's really what you want to do. (1 comment)
I guess, if that's really what you want to do.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

It's your paper, so use whatever process you're comfortable with. Personally, I've found trying to make something a community effort to be far more trouble than it's worth. One person's coherent vision is usually better than a bunch of people's ideas all jumbled about presented in patchwork styles.

Remember that Papers allow comments. If you really want a meta question about your paper, I won't get in its way. However, you could just write the first pass of your paper, then edit as you see fit based on suggestions in the comments.