"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Why am I receiving so many downvotes at once?

Why am I receiving so many downvotes at once?

+6
−0

Why am I getting these downvotes? It started last week (or the week before) and now it seems like it's getting contagious: -

Screenshot of 9 downvotes on February 6, 2022

Seems like this site has some of the same outrageous inclinations as stack exchange. Downvotes should be registered and viewable by the person being downvoted IMHO.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

I agree about downvotes should be visible to all. (8 comments)
That's odd. We'll have to look into that; the developer team is working on some tools to help combat ... (1 comment)
Thanks for the report. (1 comment)
I agree about downvotes should be visible to all.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

I agree about downvotes should be visible to all.

Update: I've been informed that the Codidact team found that the downvotes were done from a new account with a throw-away email address. The downvotes will be removed, but this is a delicate operation, and the right people have to get involved, spanning time zones. It will be fixed, but may take a little while.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Thanks Olin. Time isn't an issue.

We are discussing making downvotes public. If you want to see reform, it would be helpful if you weighed in.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭ I'm up for it. I would also suggest that new users need to reach a certain reputation before they are allowed to downvote thus preventing moron abuse. I might also suggest that anyone downvoting (that can d/v) are given a small list of options to tick for their reasons. OK this last bit may be too fiddly. Glad to here about this. I think the "other place" hints that a question downvote is likely because of lack of research and this is a good reason but maybe there are other good reasons for downvoting a question. When it comes to d/v on answers, I think the only reason is that an answer is plain wrong or misleading or garbage. I don't think that any partial answer (one that doesn't cover the full remit of the question) should attract any form of d/v at all because the answer is still helpful but not fully helpful.

The setting has been changed so that new users don't automatically get the Participate Everywhere privilege. That means they can't downvote until they get a few positive votes themselves.

Don't just tell me you're up for it. Help build a consensus at https://electrical.codidact.com/posts/285889

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Well, Olin Lathrop‭ without the link (that you have just provided) I can only say I'm up for it.