"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on How to deal with design review questions?

How to deal with design review questions?

+2
−0

A while back someone suggested that we added a section for reviews to the site - How about a new section for code reviews? From that meta thread we gathered that:

• There seems to be community consensus that code review is perfectly fine and on-topic for this site, given that the topic is about microcontroller/DSP firmware, HDL code or similar embedded systems software.
  • It was proposed that reviews should not be limited to code but to all forms of electrical engineering. Things like for example review of schematics, PCB layout/stack-up and EMC design.
  • There was no consensus about adding a separate category for this. Some 2 years later, we can conclude that review questions are rare and the few ones we have are almost always about schematics/design. There aren't many questions about firmware at all.

I'd like to encourage more questions like this - design reviews is a healthy process and excellent for learning and sharing everything from the fundamentals to handy tips & tricks, as well as for spotting errors that you as a designer are blind to yourself.

Since the tags are going through a bit of an overhaul right now, perhaps we should simply add a tag design-review with a tag description outlining what we expect from review questions? And in case this would turn out popular we can always create a category for it later.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Visibility (6 comments)
Visibility
trichoplax‭ wrote 9 months ago

In terms of encouraging review questions, is it worth considering a separate category rather than a tag? A tag helps people find review questions, but doesn't advertise the fact that review questions are on topic unless a user is looking at the tag. A separate category like on Software Development would make it immediately clear to a new user that they can ask such questions.

Lundin‭ wrote 9 months ago

trichoplax‭ The code review category at software development isn't very active though, compared to the main Q&A, so I don't think it serves an advertising purpose. I think the main reason for adding several categories is if the posting policies are very different for certain types of questions. For example general Q&A will encourage a minimal reproducible example whereas code review will encourage the full code without modifications. This holds true for embedded software too, but so much not for schematic reviews etc where the rules are the same as for general Q&A: clear and complete schematics, provide datasheets to key components etc.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

The review tag can be given a different visual presentation if that helps, and the text at the top of the Q&A category can be edited to mention/link to reviews. Would either or both of those changes help?

Monica Cellio‭ Different colors might be interesting, as long as it doesn't turn out far too eye-catching that way (not like the status-complete etc meta tags for example that are meant to stand out).

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

The difference would be outlining, like the proposal tags on Proposals. We already have support for that; we'd just need to add the reviews tag to a list.

Monica Cellio‭ Hmm I had not realized there were differently formatted tags at Proposals :) I can see it now that you told me, but maybe the problem there is the opposite - too subtle.