Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on weak WiFi when microwave is running

weak WiFi when microwave is running [closed]

+6
−3

Closed as off topic by Nick Alexeev‭ on Oct 27, 2020 at 00:56

This question is not within the scope of Electrical Engineering.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

Nowadays, that I videoconference over WiFi a lot, I've started to notice some trends in WiFi quality. And it seems my connectivity decreases when my microwave oven is on (I work in the same room as it). Is that my imagination or does it make sense. If it does make sense, why?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
msh210‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I'm not sure this is on-topic on this site. If not, please let me know and delete it!

Andy aka‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

It's highly likely that your wifi uses 2.45 GHz and, it may or may not surprise you to know that microwave ovens use exactly the same part of the spectrum hence, with circa 750 watts of microwaves being produced inside the oven (and a few tens of milli watts leaking out) that leakage scatter guns the part of the spectrum your wifi uses.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

msh210‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Thanks, @Andyaka

Nick Alexeev‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@msh210 Your hunch is correct about off-topic. When we get a site that covers computer hardware from user's or IT's perspective, this question would fit there very well. I would move this question there when such a site appear on Codidact, and the system allows us to migrate questions.

Kranulis‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Nick Alexeev Really? This is a great question, falls within EMI field. This question closing fetish should stay on ee.stackexchange.

Kranulis‭ wrote over 3 years ago

You have a wonderfully informative post, and it is just shut down. And it does not disappear, it is just shut for people to add more information. Currently we have people that are very experienced here and can add great value, and yet the decision is made to close this. For what? This is just purely stupid.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

This post is discussed on meta here.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I posted a more detailed version of this question here: https://electrical.codidact.com/q/278855. Is it on-topic now? Please comment in the linked meta thread.