Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Creating an additional "user"

Parent

Creating an additional "user"

+8
−1

That may seem a pointless question, but life has taught me to be careful and to ask before any "somewhat unusual" steps. Also, despite it could be a Codidact question, I think it is also dependent on the particular EE community feelings.

I am currently using this site under the pseudonym "Coquelicot". Indeed, I prefer anonymity for posting questions and answers, where it is relatively current to be involved in disputes.

On the other hand, regarding the "papers" category, I would like to post under my real name.

Is there a problem with creating another user for that (that is, I will be the owner of two users)?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
−0

Personally I'd rather have everyone use their real name and affiliation. That basically puts their reputation out there on anything they say. If you really believe in something, have the guts to say so. If you don't, then I don't want to hear it.

However, that's not the policy of the site. I wouldn't have a problem with someone having multiple accounts as long as they are never used to vote on each other's posts. This would have to be enforced by the software, so the multiple accounts need to be known deep down in some database along with other private personal information.

I don't know whether Codidact has such a feature. If it does, then go ahead and create a second account. If not, then this would be a good discussion for Codidact meta.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

While I am (obviosuly) a "real name" type of person, there are definitely situations where using a pseudonym makes sense. That is clearly the case with sensitive issues on (to use SE sites as examples) Interpersonal Skills, The Workplace and Academia, where if your family, employer or professor discovered you asking questions you could have some serious problems. It can, in more limited ways, be an issue in technical sites (like this one) if your employment is of a sensitive nature.