Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Name of this current limiting device

Name of this current limiting device

+3
−0

I'm trying to modify a LED torch, and there is a DC-DC booster (1.5 V to 3.3 V) and after that some SOT-23 device which (I assume) keeps constant 90 mA current through LED. I know I could remove that device and replace it with a resistor, but that has disadvantage that current won't be as stable with temperature drift of LED.
So I would like to replace that current limiting device for another one.
I was looking for devices like "SOT-23 LED constant current driver", "SOT-23 constant current regulator", "SOT-23 constant current sink", etc. but with no luck finding similar device whatsoever. I couldn't find anything similar on Mouser or Digikey (I could be looking in wrong categories though)

My question is:
Is that common device and what is it's name?

This is the schematic:
Schematic

UPDATE:
I do not think it is absolutely necessary, but I'm adding full schematic (reverse engineered): Full schematic

This is photo of the board:
PCB

SMD codes are:
U1; DC-DC booster: LahFb (it seems to be YX2118, some chinesium)
U2; current regulator: IaiHb (or laiHb)
Current regulator Booster

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Is R1 really 1 ohm? Then what purpose does it fill?

Chupacabras‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Yes, it is 1 ohm. Before I reverse engineered the circuit I thought it is current sense. But it is not. I changed it to 0.5 ohm and current did not change. Then I reverse engineered schematic. I assume it is there to limit the current in case that driver failed.

Pete W‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

Could it be a damping resistor, to reduce ringing on the output of the driver?

coquelicot‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

Have you think about making a stupid current source by hand: jfet + resistor, or npn + resistor + zener ?

Hmm, I don't think failing parts is necessarily the problem given the pics. The solder job is truly awful and besides you got corrosion of some kind all over, to the point where I would suspect that the board is water damaged.

Chupacabras‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

@Lundin There is no failing part. It is working correctly. My plan was to increase output power (so increase current). But there is a device that outputs constant current, which I would like to replace for part with higher constant current. Thus I would like to find such part (what is name of it generally), because I was not able to find no similar part. Yes, some soldering is ugly there, I was soldering there different value of R1, which made no difference in current.

It looks like a board where anything can fail at any moment though... Anyway, why not just pick a brighter LED? So much easier.

Chupacabras‭ wrote about 3 years ago

@Lundin Well, my question was not focused on alternative schematics or options how to modify that circuit. My question was really specifically about that one device, because I can't find any such device. I could use it in different circuits as well, it could be handy. btw. I already changed LED for more powerful one, that's why I'm focused on that constant current device now.

@Chupacabras The 90mA current is an odd case, most LEDs are rated at 20mA. Also, you can get extreme super bright LEDs that shine like the sun with several candela at 20mA, why focusing on the LED is easier.