"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Viewing the potential live output when editing a question or answer.

Parent

Viewing the potential live output when editing a question or answer.

+2
−0

I have just raised a Q and A but when editing the answer (that involves a picture) there is no "live" version of the potentially finished post and this will prove to be a problem when making a complex answer especially if MathJax/Latex is used. SE.EE does support this feature and I think it's vital.

Also, there is no facility to renumber the bullet points. If you look in my answer, there are two bullet points names "1".

This is what I see when editing an answer: -

__ Well I tried to embed an image by pressing the picture button but I got javascript:void() in the bottom left corner. Yet I know java is enabled because I've just used a web page that uses it and I should know because it's one of my own web pages __

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
−0

Sounds like you have JavaScript disabled for this site. There is a live preview feature available, but it necessarily requires JavaScript to work; without JS enabled, it just... won't.

As for your bullet points, this is a feature of Markdown (though "feature" is questionable...). Any line that starts with a number and a period, i.e. 1. or 2. is treated as a bullet point in a list and put into an ol HTML element. These elements number their items automatically. When you have a list item, followed by a block of content that's not part of that list item, then another list item, they are treated as two separate lists, and numbering starts again at 1.

You can solve this by making the block of content in the middle part of the preceding list item. In your case, you've got an image between points 1 and 2 that splits the list; if you make that image part of point 1, it should display no differently but number the lists correctly - you can do that by indenting the line containing the image with four (or more) spaces.

I've edited the post for you to fix its display; if you follow the edit link yourself, you'll be able to see the changes to the Markdown I've made to make it work.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
Andy aka‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Thanks. Hmmm java should be working because I use it a lot!

I have Java enabled (who doesn't these days!). You say there is a live preview feature "available" - does that mean I need to find it because it's not present if i go back to my question/answer and trial edit it.

Andy aka‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

I've just tried editing the question above but the double underscore for bullet points doesn't appear to work also and also, I tried to embed a screen shot from my EE question (in order to show the lack of preview pane) and now the image embed button doesn't work. How do I enable java for this site?

Javascript was not blocked in google chrome - I checked. I also specifically enabled it for this site but no luck and I still can't see the preview pane. Maybe it's a chrome thing that you haven't got right yet?

ArtOfCode‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Andyaka JavaScript, not Java. Big difference - it'll make no difference if Java is disabled, but JavaScript is 100% required. Given that I develop in Chrome and have the preview working for me in Chrome, I doubt it's a Chrome thing - it sounds like a local setting somewhere. What browser version (go to chrome://version)? What "double underscore for bullet points" do you mean?

Yes, yes, yes we've already done the java vs JS thing once. I have JS enabled on my chrome browser. Version installed: Version 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit). The double underscore has been resolved as "user incompetence".

ArtOfCode‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Andyaka If you press F12 when you're on an edit page, what's the contents of the Console tab?

OK I've done that but, I can't post an image (although I've saved one) because the image insert button doesn't work (there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza).