"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How long does it take for energy to propagate in a circuit?

Parent

How long does it take for energy to propagate in a circuit?

+8
−0

The premise

In a recent video by the pop-sci channel Veritasium, the concept of the flow of electricity and energy transmission in a circuit was discussed. In that video a thought experiment is presented:

Thought experiment

The video concludes that, after the switch is flipped, the lightbulb will turn on after 1/c seconds (1 meter divided by the speed of light), since the lamp and the battery are 1 meter apart. This is explained by showing that, in an electrical circuit, energy is transmitted through an EM field, which propagates at the speed of light, and not through movement of particles in a conductor.

This explanation did not sit right with me, for mainly two reasons:

1. Clearly, the conductor plays a role in the transmission of energy. This is actually pointed out in the video as well, by saying that after a connection in a circuit is made, the EM field will propagate along the conductor at the speed of light. To me, this would mean that the field would take 1s to propagate through the cables in the thought experiment, and the lamp will turn on after 1s.
  2. For the lamp to turn on, current must flow through it, heating the filament. Simply being in an EM field generated by the battery would not work, there needs to be some potential difference at the lamp's terminals. The signal doesn't "know" what happens at the load until it reaches it. This is a big part of reflection in signal and transmission lines, yet seems to be ignored here. Therefore, the voltage will take 1s to arrive at the lamp in this case.

The question

Is the answer of 1/c seconds correct, or should the answer be something else? If the answer is not 1/c, where does the mistake in the video's reasoning lie?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

A really poor thought experiment (1 comment)
−2
Is the answer of 1/c seconds correct

It can't possibly be. The question is looking for a time value. "C" is a speed, which has units of distance/time. "1/c" therefore has units of time/distance.

In this case, 1 is 1 meter

"1" is never one meter. "1 m" or "1 meter" is one meter.

Added: I guess a discussion of the physics has been delayed long enough so that there have been enough consequences for the sloppy use of units.

One answer discussed propagation of current down the wire and radio propagation from the switch to the light bulb. There is another possibility, which is the transmission line effect.

If each out-and-back segment at left and right were a transmission line, then current would be induced in the far conductor very quickly. Another way to think of the same thing is that the near wire is the primary of a transformer, and the far wire the secondary. When current changes in the primary, there will be an induced voltage in the secondary.

In this case, with the near and far wires being 1 m apart, that coupling is rather weak. Most of the magnetic field produced by the current in the near wire won't wrap around the far wire. The energy transfer between the two will therefore be minimal. Another way to put this is that the transformer has large leakage inductance, and small coupled inductance.

If the two wires were right next to each other, then this effect could be significant. With perfect coupling and 0 wire resistance, any current in the primary wire would immediately cause an equal and opposite current in the secondary wire, which causes the magnetic field to stay at 0. In that case, the light bulb would light almost instantly. In the case actually presented, a tiny voltage could be detected after the magnetic field propagated from the front to the back wire. The bulb lighting would have to wait until the current propagates in the wire to the bulb.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

In this case, 1 is 1 meter, the distance between the lamp and the battery. I will edit the question t... (4 comments)
I think that you have the right answer Olin. Of course, the stronger the transmission line effect, th... (1 comment)
In this case, 1 is 1 meter, the distance between the lamp and the battery. I will edit the question t...
Mu3‭ wrote over 2 years ago

In this case, 1 is 1 meter, the distance between the lamp and the battery. I will edit the question to make this clearer.

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

Mu3‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭ the core of the question is not about the units. Yes, they are mislabeled in the diagram. However, I am curious about the thought experiment and what the answer will be (in seconds).

Skipping 3 deleted comments.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I understand the units are mislabeled in the diagram, which is not under your control. However, you continued the sloppiness with units in your own text. You should have written (1 m)/c instead of 1/c. Units matter.

deleted user wrote about 2 years ago

If you take properly at that diagram then you will see that he wrote $\frac{1}{c} \ \mathrm s$. Here, he put second as units. So I think veritasium was mostly talking about $c=3\times10^8$ (just the magnitude nothing else).