"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Papers

Comments on How does a diode maintain a constant voltage?

How does a diode maintain a constant voltage?

+1
−1

A fundamental property of all types of diodes (silicon, germanium, Schottky, LEDs, Zener ...) is to maintain a relatively constant voltage when the current through them varies. How do they do that?

This question can be answered specifically by considering the processes in the semiconductor PN junction. Also, it would be interesting to explain this on a conceptual level by revealing the basic idea. This "philosophical" approach has several advantages: first, it does not require in-depth knowledge of semiconductor devices; second, it would be applicable to all 2-terminal devices that have this property. I will do this using the concept of "dynamic resistance".

In the most general sense, a diode behaves like a resistor that interferes with current creating a voltage drop and heat loss. In the initial sloping part of its IV curve, this "resistor" has a relatively constant high resistance. And if it was really a resistor, the curve would continue in the same direction.

However, when the voltage threshold of the respective diode is reached, the curve abruptly changes its slope and becomes almost vertical. The current continues to change but the voltage stops changing. Why? Here is my simple explanation…

When the current I increases, the diode decreases its static resistance R with the same rate of change. So, the voltage drop across the diode V = I.R does not change.

This is a simple arithmetic trick where we change the multipliers in the opposite direction and at the same rate of change; as a result, the product of multiplication does not change.

Diode voltage stabilizer - basic idea

Thus, by changing its resistance opposite to the current, this "dynamic resistor" maintains a constant voltage. This clever "diode trick" can be graphically illustrated:

Diode voltage stabilizer - graphical interpretation

During the last online exercise (25.11.21) on Semiconductor Devices with group 48a, ITI, FCST of Technical University of Sofia, I used the ZOOM pen to draw moving IV curves on the existing picture in Nicole's lab report; see the video record of the ZOOM meeting (in Bulgarian) and the screenshot below:

Screenshot[1]

To get the attention of my students at this late class, I told them that I could mimic any diode they wanted with just a variable resistor ("potentiometer")... and if I hid in a big box, they would think that there is a diode inside:-)

It would be interesting for me to know your opinion on my explanation.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

This doesn't answer the question of "how" at all. It's merely another way to model the non-linear be... (2 comments)
This doesn't answer the question of "how" at all. It's merely another way to model the non-linear be...
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

This doesn't answer the question of "how" at all. It's merely another way to model the non-linear behavior of a diode (or any two-terminal device). You could just as well have said it's a current source that is a non-linear function of voltage, or a voltage source that is a non-linear function of the current. Modeling the response as a resistance that is a non-linear function of the voltage doesn't seem to provide any particular insights to me, and certainly doesn't explain how the diode does this. A V-I graph seems like a more straight-forward way to show what a diode does.

Circuit fantasist‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I agree with your arguments. I used the resistance because it is the most primary quantity that leads to a change in the other quantities (current and voltage).

I think in such a way: The diode is a passive element that does not produce or accumulate energy. So, the only thing it can do, is to change its resistance.