Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Power amplifier for remote controller

Parent

Power amplifier for remote controller

+3
−1

I'm designing remote controller based on NRF24L01 and STM32. I want to use SMA antenna. My question is regarding power amplifier (PA). When is it necessary to use one? The range I'm aiming for is 20+ meters. Every commercially available module with NRF24 and SMA antenna has PA, but I would like to save on cost and space on PCB. The NRF24 datasheet says that recommended load impedance is 50 Ω. Is it therefore possible to use SMA connector and antenna with 50 Ω impedance?

EDIT:

Is there a way to calculate the approximate range of this remote controller? I have seen some advanced software that can simulate antennas (too advanced for me), but I want to know what will be the approximate range. Or is it just easier to test this and then add PA later on if it is necessary.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Fading losses depend on channel path integrity. (1 comment)
−0

#1 before anything else is to do your homework. The Nordic semi web site says: "nRF24 Series Not recommended for new designs". That means forget about using this part! They are phasing it out of production and it will probably go EOL within a couple of years. Also be careful not to use some silicon vendor who has a habit to discontinue their whole product line every second year; I have never used Nordic so I have no experience about them in that regard.

Also in general don't do electronics projects by first picking a part and then try to figure out what to use it for. Write a specification then after that track down suitable candidate parts that fulfil it. That way you automatically don't end up with something obsolete or otherwise unsuitable. Also in these days of massive logistics incompetence among the silicon vendors, it is very important to check that the part can actually be purchased in the real world as well. Even previously reliable vendors fail to deliver right now.

Modern RFIC always come with an internal PA and it's common that the same manufacturer has a line of similar products but with a different PA. Some parts with +4dBm and some with +8dBm, so that's a different internal PA. And yes the whole point of having that is to drive the antenna without an external PA.

You will have to match this internal PA with passives as per the manufacturer's recommendation. How to do that depends on a lot of things: is it just Tx, just Rx or semi duplex? Will there be a "direct tie" to the antenna or will there be an antenna switch between Tx and Rx paths? Will you use a SAW bandpass filter for Rx? Lowpass "Pi" filters are also common. And so on.

50Ω is by far the most common industry standard.

How to calculate your expected range is no trivial thing. The most important aspects tend to be receiver selectivity and sensitivity. And of course Tx output power, which depends on the PA + matching, how much losses you have in the Tx path and how well the antenna works. But also about regulations on the band you intend to use. The 2.4GHz is pretty much the Wild West so you probably don't have to worry too much about that. You have to be very concerned about other interfering radios however. Also there are product standards for Bluetooth, Zigbee etc that will state output powers.

20 meters open sight might be possible even at 0 dBm, though it would take a good design to keep up 20 meters reliably. And just don't expect 2.4GHz technology to work well through walls and similar.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Thank you for your reply, I chose nrf24 because it is a one time project and there is a lot of materi... (2 comments)
Thank you for your reply, I chose nrf24 because it is a one time project and there is a lot of materi...
Stefan‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Thank you for your reply, I chose nrf24 because it is a one time project and there is a lot of material for it online, since it is often used in Arduino projects. It was also in stock in large quantities in multiple vendors and as you mentioned getting anything delivered is quite a nightmare right now. For future projects I will work on incorporating your advice about picking parts.

Lundin‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Well, some hobbyist or school project is naturally a different story than professional electronics development. In general it is always nice to check what multiple vendors can offer. Some even have integrated MCU/RFIC in the same chip.