Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Transformer design for a Series Resonant Converter

Transformer design for a Series Resonant Converter

+3
−0

I am determining the Area-Product of the core required for a transformer to be used within a series resonant converter. The specifications are as follows:

• Switching frequency = 400 kHz
  • Primary current = sine wave with a peak value of 500 mA
  • Power output = 1 W

These are my calculations:

• I decided to use a core made out of N49 (since many such cores are already available)
  • From the data given on this website, I have determined the saturation flux density of the ferrite core as: 0.04 T (approx.)
  • The winding factor is considered to be 0.2
  • Since we are dealing with 400 kHz, I decided to use a Litz wire with a 44 AWG strand size which has a bare Copper diameter of approximately 0.051 mm
  • Since the RMS value of the primary current is 0.353 A, I decided to use a Litz wire with 18 such strands. This may be too much, but it is fine for my initial design (the overall conductor area now comes out to be 0.0368 $mm^2$ ).
  • I calculated the current density of this conductor as follows: $J=\frac{0.353\ A}{0.0368\ mm^2}=9.59 \ A/mm^2$
  • The Area-Product of the transformer is given by: $AcAw=\frac{VI}{2 f_{sw}\ B_m k_w\ J}$

This gives a value of $\frac{1\ W}{2×(400000\ Hz)×(0.04\times 10^{−6}\ Wb/mm^2)× (0.2) ×(9.59\ A/mm^2)} = 16.293\ mm^4$

I think this calculation is wrong. The website that I mentioned before mentions the max flux density in ferrites at 400 kHz as being close to 0.04 T. Is this correct? Is the chosen current density correct? Also, will there be any issue due to more number of strands (more than the required value) within the wire? Should I use litz wire or just stick to using a solid core AWG 28 wire instead?

NOTE: This transformer will be used in a series resonant converter that will supply power to a sensor module operating at 10 V (This specific topology is used to ensure isolation).

EDIT:

• The core can be considered to be ER 9.5/5 from TDK
  • The turns ratio can be taken as 15:10
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Saturation flux density (5 comments)
General comments (1 comment)
Check your units (2 comments)
Saturation flux density
Andy aka‭ wrote 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I think this calculation is wrong. The website that I mentioned before mentions the max flux density in ferrites at 400 kHz as being close to 0.04 T. Is this correct? That is not correct and neither do I see that being mentioned on the link to the magnetics website. Also, why are you using an LLC resonant topology for such a measly 1 watt converter?

Please also supply a link to the actual core being considered and provide details of the winding ratios and input/output voltages and load.

I have added a link to the core considered to the post. This specific topology is considered to ensure isolation between the supply and the load. I am in the process of creating an initial design for the transformer. The winding ratio is 1.5:1. I haven't selected the number of primary windings needed to setup suitable flux through the core. For the time being, I am using a ratio of 15:10. The load is a 100 ohm resistance.

In the link to the website that I posted, there is a graph that shows the desired flux density for various switching frequency values. At 400 kHz, the required flux density required to minimize core losses is specified to be close to 400 Gauss which is 0.04 T. Is this correct?

Andy aka‭ wrote 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

The graph on the website you linked doesn't tell you anything other than current reduces in an inductor by a factor of ten when the frequency rises by a factor of ten. In other words it's useless padding by Magnetics to make their page look impressive. When current reduces by ten, flux density reduces by ten. It isn't referring to peak flux density either <-- that's a material specification that you have to avoid. Why did you delete your recent question in the other place when I was just about to comment.

It would be wrong to use this topology if all you are trying to do is obtain isolation. Please explain why you can't use a flyback topology?

I was given this as a project to work on. The isolation requirement is 18 kV rms. The secondary side will be at a higher potential. This is just an initial design for my understanding. I will have to look into it much more than what I currently know. Thank you for your comment.