"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Is it possible for one transistor to switch between two loads?

Parent

Is it possible for one transistor to switch between two loads?

+0
−2

The output collector-emitter part of a transistor can be thought of as a 2-terminal SPST switch controlled by the input base-emitter voltage or base current. So this transistor switch can control only a single collector load.

Is it possible to make the transistor act as a 3-terminal SPDT switch? If so, one transistor will be able to control (switch between) two loads.

In general, can a SPST switch act as a SPDT switch?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

I suspect this is another of your trick questions and you are waiting for the chance to show us your unrivaled knowledge, but I will play the straight man for you.

No. By definition, an SPST switch can not act as an SPDT switch in general. If that were possible then there would be no need to manufacture SPDT switches, would there?

However, if the trick question really is "Can you use an SPST switch to control two LEDs, so that one goes off and the other goes on when you move the switch, and one of them is always on?" then sure, you can envision a circuit that will do this. But that is not causing a SPST switch to "act as a SPDT switch".

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
Circuit fantasist‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Elliot Alderson‭, As usual, you are in the right place at the right time:) In general, you are right… but not quite. Really, in 1984, I got a patent for an LED voltage indicator where two transistors controlled three LEDs. Now, inspired by the new EE network, I began to realize the idea in a more general way and to think about it. That is how the idea for this question was born… I do not think there is anything wrong with that...

Circuit fantasist‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

... I guess you will agree that coming up with a good question is no less difficult than answering it... Really, "an SPST switch can not act as an SPDT switch" but the latter can be assembled by two (NO and NC) SPST switches (transistors). And here is an idea (I have realized it just now) - one of the loads can replace the NC SPST switch. So, the NO SPST switch will initially turn on the one of the loads and the other load will turn off itself thus acting as an NC SPST switch.

Circuit fantasist‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@Elliot Alderson‭, Are you happy with my answer? If this circuit solution seems too complicated to you, I will offer you an even simpler recipe for "converting" SPST into SPDT switch - only through a "pulling" resistor. It was dominant before the complementary stage was invented...

Elliot Alderson‭ wrote over 3 years ago

My problem with your writing is that you misuse language to the extent that it confuses inexperienced readers. The fact that you feel the need to "surround" misused "words" with quotes is "revealing".