"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Why are there more N type than P type MOSFETs?

Parent

Why are there more N type than P type MOSFETs?

+5
−0

I was looking at different transistors, especially MOSFETS and I saw that N type MOSFETs seem to be way more popular to be used in circuit design. Is there a reason for that, or am I mistaken?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

I recommend reading this app note (1 comment)
−2

One reason could be that N type MOSFET can switch loads that are in Drain, meaning that whatever the load voltage, you can turn it on/off directly with any microcontroller, provided that the MOSFET is 5V or 3.3V logic level. You could invert it and do the same with P-Channel, but N-Channel just feels more natural, since it shares common ground. Furthermore, going into design details, N-Channel MOSFETS have faster switching due to higher electron-hole mobility. Due to this, P-Channel MOSFETS have a higher resistance when fully on.

Presumably these characteristics lead to N-Channel being more common.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

4 comment threads

@Olin. After your action, who would want to leave any comment after downvoting? You create a Meta to ... (1 comment)
+1 for the undeserved downvote (13 comments)
I also think this is a bad answer. There are several statements made that are incorrect or misleading... (2 comments)
I downvoted this answer because the first half "One reason" -- "3.3V logic level" is hardly understan... (5 comments)
I downvoted this answer because the first half "One reason" -- "3.3V logic level" is hardly understan...
coquelicot‭ wrote about 2 years ago

I downvoted this answer because the first half "One reason" -- "3.3V logic level" is hardly understandable for reasonably competent engineers, and certainly sibylline for most students of the level of this question. This answer may be updated by adding schematics or clearer explanations, in which case I will remove this downvote.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Reasonably competent (and even junior ranking) engineers will certainly understand the term mentioned. I don't understand why you think they won't.

Of course, since they already know this matter. My comment has to be understood as "if they were not already knowing this subject". Anyway, that's not the point. The question is of elementary level, and as such, should be answered in a more detailed way. My opinion is that most newcomers in electronics (which is the level of the question again) could not understood the first half of the answer.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

coquelicot‭ in downvoting this answer you are, in effect, telling the author of the answer that his answer is worth less than no answer at all. I certainly don't think this is the case. Look at it from the perspective of the guy answering; he put some effort in to produce words that maybe could be improved but, nevertheless, as those words stand, they are still of net-use to anyone wanting this question answered. And, with you downvoting it, he is worse off than not making an answer. Now that doesn't make sense to me at all. I am questioning your motive here. You are discouraging folk from making answers.

@Andy. Not at all, as I have specified in my comment. I think this debate belongs to Meta though.