"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Why are there more N type than P type MOSFETs?

Parent

Why are there more N type than P type MOSFETs?

+5
−0

I was looking at different transistors, especially MOSFETS and I saw that N type MOSFETs seem to be way more popular to be used in circuit design. Is there a reason for that, or am I mistaken?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

I recommend reading this app note (1 comment)
−2

One reason could be that N type MOSFET can switch loads that are in Drain, meaning that whatever the load voltage, you can turn it on/off directly with any microcontroller, provided that the MOSFET is 5V or 3.3V logic level. You could invert it and do the same with P-Channel, but N-Channel just feels more natural, since it shares common ground. Furthermore, going into design details, N-Channel MOSFETS have faster switching due to higher electron-hole mobility. Due to this, P-Channel MOSFETS have a higher resistance when fully on.

Presumably these characteristics lead to N-Channel being more common.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

4 comment threads

@Olin. After your action, who would want to leave any comment after downvoting? You create a Meta to ... (1 comment)
+1 for the undeserved downvote (13 comments)
I also think this is a bad answer. There are several statements made that are incorrect or misleading... (2 comments)
I downvoted this answer because the first half "One reason" -- "3.3V logic level" is hardly understan... (5 comments)
+1 for the undeserved downvote
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 2 years ago

This answer could be better, but it's written well enough, not wrong, and does supply some useful information. I wouldn't have normally upvoted it, but it doesn't deserve to be labeled a net negative.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Totally and thoroughly agree.

coquelicot‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Wow! what a support to Kranulis! I would like to have enjoyed the same support when I was brutally downvoted, without any reason (and without comment). Curiously Andy, you were not here, and even more curiously, Olin, you were much more reserved in defending me. I'm jealous, really. Also, as you can see, Kranulis has not tried to discuss with me, nor to understand my point, and of course, not updated his answer. After all, why doing so when you enjoy such a support, and the two mandarins of this site are defending you so virulently. My bottom line: the answer has not been updated, and I will not remove the downvote. Sorry.

Kranulis‭ wrote about 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭ So much about people being objective and keeping feelings out of it. Imagine if all of this was public, Mr.Mandarin :D

Hey Kranulis. How are you? "MrMandarin" ... isn't it a funny idea for an avatar?

I really don't get the in jokes here.

Andy aka‭ The joke is that a grown man (woman?) is throwing tantrums because you and Olin did not support his critique, immediately taking stabs at whoever he can identify. We literally just discussed the potential downfalls of public downvotes. This guy knows I have disagreed with him in the past and is just out for blood. Some people put their ego higher than objectivity, and that just is the reality of how humans can be. You did not support his crusade, therefore, you are now the mandarin of the site. Lovely, isn't it?

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

Andy, the above comment was addressed to Kranulis.

Kranulis‭ I'm happy to take a look at the carnage of your endeavours that happened before I joined. I'm also happy to give you my opinion on what you wrote but, I can be brutally honest sometimes so, if you are up for it, leave a link.

coquelicot‭ cheers Mike (mike?)

@Andy, take it easy ;-)

Andy aka‭ Alright, here you go: https://electrical.codidact.com/comments/thread/2919#comment-9698 https://electrical.codidact.com/posts/281322/281323#answer-281323

If you read through these, you will see how this guy handles critique. Once disagreed with, he starts stabbing in all directions, same as here. The narcissism is just unmatched: If my answer does not satisfy you, then clearly something is wrong with you or your question!

Notice also that I was not mean about it or anything, I said 'Sorry, doesn't work for me' which apparently set off some kind of a trigger.

It seems a rather lame discussion to some of those on SE. I mean, recently one guy kept having a go at me and we both got banned for 5 days. Another more recent SE discussion got me banned for a week despite the idiot totally trying to misrepresent what I said in his answer i.e. his answer was all about picking (incorrect) holes in my answer. Not sure if he got banned but I know who he is.