Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Name of this current limiting device

Parent

Name of this current limiting device

+3
−0

I'm trying to modify a LED torch, and there is a DC-DC booster (1.5 V to 3.3 V) and after that some SOT-23 device which (I assume) keeps constant 90 mA current through LED. I know I could remove that device and replace it with a resistor, but that has disadvantage that current won't be as stable with temperature drift of LED.
So I would like to replace that current limiting device for another one.
I was looking for devices like "SOT-23 LED constant current driver", "SOT-23 constant current regulator", "SOT-23 constant current sink", etc. but with no luck finding similar device whatsoever. I couldn't find anything similar on Mouser or Digikey (I could be looking in wrong categories though)

My question is:
Is that common device and what is it's name?

This is the schematic:
Schematic

UPDATE:
I do not think it is absolutely necessary, but I'm adding full schematic (reverse engineered): Full schematic

This is photo of the board:
PCB

SMD codes are:
U1; DC-DC booster: LahFb (it seems to be YX2118, some chinesium)
U2; current regulator: IaiHb (or laiHb)
Current regulator Booster

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
−0

It is some manner of BJT or MOSFET LED driver similar to for example this: NCR402T (just a random example, this one was PNP).

They are literally called "SOT23 LED driver" (Mouser calls them "SOT23-3 LED Lighting driver"). Which exact part you have, I can't tell without marking. Plenty of manufacturers provide similar parts: Nxperia, ON, Diodes, TI, Infineon and so on.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Closest match on Mouser appears to be XR46010ISBTR with NPN. SOT-23 pinout standardization leaves a lot to be desired though, so I'd be very careful double-checking the pins of your layout symbol vs datasheet. Don't trust the schematic pin numbers.

Chupacabras‭ wrote about 3 years ago

I have seen NCR402 during my searching. That is current source, not sink. And it has much larger dropout voltage. In my case source is 3.3V, LED is at 3.1V, so there is just 0.2V difference.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

@Chupacabras‭ As noted, this was a PNP part but you need N-channel. Just search for SOT23 LED Driver and you get plenty of results. If you wish the exact part, then you have to put more effort into the question, adding the print on the IC and preferably also a photo.

@Chupacabras Did you try the above mentioned XR46010ISBTR? Looks fairly compatible, though I'd double check the pinout because SOT-23 pin numbers aren't that well standardized.

Chupacabras‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Thanks for XR46010ISBTR. It's not usable in this case, but I could use it somewhere else.

Lundin‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

@Chupacabras Aim for one with 20mA, that's more industry standard. Also for 1st source I'd probably pick a silicon vendor with more self-respect than someone who calls themselves "MaxLinear" - there's nothing wrong with their parts, it's Sipex/Exar/whatever, they change name every year. But I laugh whenever I hear the name. Maxim and Linear being two of the most well-known high quality high price vendors, but this one is a low cost brand. As if they seek to scam you into buying their parts...