Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What is a good PCB-layout?

What is a good PCB-layout?

+3
−0

I am an electrical engineering student and I just finished designing an ECG-amplifier circuit. Here is the schematic: -

Image alt text

It is fairly simple. Initially, there is a 1st order highpass filter. Then, a differential amplification stage with AD620N in-amp followed by a Sallen-Key 2nd order lowpass filter. Finally, a gain and offset stage. The two female pin-header connectors (J4 and J5) are for plugging in an esp8266 module to sample the processed signal with its ADC. There are also some test points and some screw terminals.

I have also designed and ordered a PCB for this circuit here:

Image alt text

The PCB is 100x100mm, has 2 layers, and it only uses THT-components. The +9V and -9V are connected through traces to the amplifiers, and I use 1 GND plane.

Questions: I'm new to PCB-design and I don't have a feeling for what a "good" design is. Have I made some big "no-nos"? Is there a standard for placing components that's a good idea to follow? Where is it a good place to start with the PCB-design? Should I go from left to right following my schematic and wire components accordingly (that's what I have done)? Is this a poor design?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

A good layout is one that meets or exceeds your expectations (or design specs). These specs form wha... (3 comments)
Quite a few questions about the circuit design. Where are the power supply decoupling capacitors for... (5 comments)
A good layout is one that meets or exceeds your expectations (or design specs). These specs form wha...
TonyStewart‭ wrote about 1 year ago

A good layout is one that meets or exceeds your expectations (or design specs). These specs form what is called Design for Manufacturability (DFM) for Testability (DFT) for cost (DFC) and for performance of accepting signal inputs by quick connection, signal conditioning for gain, bandwidth and CMRR (f) with tolerance errors and outputs. The layout is expected to not cause EMI pickup from handling , use a convenient power source, single or dual supply.

The existence of measurable design specs is essential before starting a design and changes are allowed then these become the criteria for Design Verification Tests (DVT) with a plan on how to test each parameter.

Once you learn how to evaluate existing commercial designs and not academic DIY designs, your powers of observation may show you how to meet all your requirements. Ground noise and "Right-Leg-drive" feedback is one thing you seem to have overlooked not using R5/R6 midpoint floating for feedback with a buffered RLD.

Carl‭ wrote about 1 year ago · edited about 1 year ago

@TonyStewart thank you for the tips. The driven-right-leg technique is used to attenuate common mode residue by an additional factor K, after the differential signal has been sent through the inamp. I don't use a DRL-circuit in this design, because I post-process the data with a moving-average filter to remove remaining common mode signal. I have also found that turning off the lights and unplugging all electronics from the wall helps tremendously in reducing noise when measuring the ECG.

TonyStewart‭ wrote 11 months ago · edited 11 months ago

@Carl That's good. It doesn't have to be the right leg either. It could be the hip or some other body part that doesn't move much. Then you can see what you are doing with the lights on ;)