"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on MAX485 transceivers breaking, Pi filter generating spikes?

Parent

MAX485 transceivers breaking, Pi filter generating spikes?

+3
−0

Problem description & speculation about causes
I've having a problem with MAX485 transceivers breaking intermittently, passing our production tests but later failing. The error phenomenon is wrong signal voltage levels on the RS485 lines, as well as the transceiver failing to return the signals to 0V.

Switching out Maxim for another brand solves the problem. At first I suspected that we had gotten counterfeit parts, but that starts to seem less likely. Maxim/AD will give no technical support and are unhelpful in general.

What's notable is that we for some reason (still investigating why) is using MAX485 ESA instead of MAX485 EESA, the latter having built-in ESD protection diodes (which ought to be standard these days but apparently not). The other brands (TI, Sipex etc) that do not break have built-in protection diodes.

But since this design uses external TVS we never considered ESD a problem. The product has undergone ESD testing in a lab with 8kV contact 15kV air and passed. As well as a bunch of other very tough conducted/radiated susceptibility tests. So I'm pretty confident at ruling out ESD during production or product use as the culprit. We can also rule out external transients since some parts failed during production testing.

We have noted some spikes of a few volts extra on the edges of the RS-485 data. Nothing extreme - we probably dismissed it as poor scope ground or bad probes:

Image_alt_text

Baudrate is 50kbps.

What we suspect now is that a couple of extra Pi filters with ferrites (far right side of the schematic below), that were added late during a failed EMC test, could somehow create spikes through self-resonance(?) or some manner of EMF(?). Too low for the 33V TVS to kick in, but high enough to kill the MAX485.

Since switching to a 2nd source transceiver fixes the problem, the theory is that the protection diodes of the 2nd source part takes care of these small spikes.

Schematic

Image_alt_text

EDIT: D1 and D2 are on different lines, naturally. I messed up while redrawing the schematic.

Datasheets/BoM:

Application description
The application is a 24VDC supply civil product for military use. It has gone through extensive EMC testing against MIL 461G and passed all tests (conducted/radiated emissions, conducted/radiated susceptibility, ESD, power supply tests etc etc). Since this includes a very broad range of noise from 2MHz up to 18GHz somewhere, all EMC counter measures are kept general-purpose.

We have 2x the above schematic that forms a point-to-point semi-duplex communication and either side of it is failing. As seen in the schematic, the outer caps of the Pi filter towards the connectors are chassis grounded. PCB ground is connected to chassis but not near the RS-485 lines.

Shielded cables are used and distances are approximately 30m. Baudrate 50kbps. We haven't used twisted pair, which would obviously be a sound idea, but passed EMC testing regardless.

The 47pF caps are for a bit of slope as well as filtering. The bus is terminated in both ends with 120R for 60R impedance.

Questions

• Are the theories about self-resonance or reverse EMF likely?
  • Theories about something else be causing the problems?
  • Might it be counterfeit parts after all? Even though we bought them from a reliable source (although not one of Maxim's favored ones). And this is such a common, well-known part - I've used it many times before in other projects.
  • Any other design review concerns?

The problem is already solved in practice by blacklisting the Maxim parts as well as adding a few smaller TVS suitable for RS-485 signal levels. But I need to find the root cause.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Does the bus or device power get hot-plugged in the failure situations? Would there ever be a power-u... (3 comments)
re: the resonance- IIUC, it would overshoot at most 100% for a step input that's relatively fast vs t... (1 comment)
−0

What part of the absolute maximum ratings for the A and B data lines do you think would be protected by 33 volt TVS diodes: -

Image_alt_text

If the chip is powered from a 5 volt supply then you use 5.6 volt TVS diodes to ground. Maybe you can raise the TVS to 10 volt if you have a lot of common-mode noise on your your bus but, nothing else would cut the mustard. The 33 volt TVS diodes won't protect the chip.

Also watch out for GND loops from one part of your installation to another; significant currents can flow (I'm talking amps not mA) and this can do significant damage if not controlled. I've given up using non-isolated 485 chips for this very reason.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Why is it breaking though? (2 comments)
Why is it breaking though?
Lundin‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I have the transceivers failing during production and I doubt the cause is ESD. I suppose hot-plugging during testing could be a culprit, but then the type of connectors used means the ground is always there before voltages.

Andy aka‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Nevertheless, the TVS diodes are offering no protection and, they would likely protect the device if chosen to be the right voltage rating (irrespective of root cause).