Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Results of analysis of Hartley oscillator dont make sense

Parent

Results of analysis of Hartley oscillator dont make sense

+1
−0

I want to find the conditions of oscillation of the following Hartley oscillator.I have attached a load (ZL) to my Hartley oscillator

Image alt text

I have written KCL for nodes A,B:

For node A:

$$\frac{V_{A}}{sL_{1}} + \frac{V_{A}}{Z_{L}}+\frac{V_{A}}{R_{C}}-sC_{1}(V_{A}-V_{B})+g_{m}V_{x} = 0 \rightarrow V_{A}(Z_{L}R_{C}+sL_{1}R_{C}+sL_{1}Z_{L})-sC_{1}sL_{1}R_{C}Z_{L}(V_{B}-V_{A})+g_{m}V_{B} = 0 \rightarrow (g_{m}-sL_{1}sC_{1}R_{C}Z_{L})V_{B} = (-sL_{1}sC_{1}R_{C}Z_{L}-R_{C}Z_{L}-sL_{1}R_{C}-sL_{1}Z_{L})V_{A}$$

But $$\frac{V_{o}}{V_{in}} = 1 \rightarrow $$

$$g_{m}-sL_{1}sC_{1}R_{C}Z_{L} = -sL_{1}sC_{1}R_{C}Z_{L}-R_{C}Z_{L}-sL_{1}R_{C}-sL_{1}Z_{L} \rightarrow g_{m} = -R_{C}Z_{L} , -sL_{1}R_{C} = sL_{1}Z_{L} $$

which doesnt make any sense.Where am I doing wrong in my analysis?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

If you are pursuing engineering then you can't use doodles instead of schematics generated by dedicated (or not) programs. It will take you just the same amount of time, if not less, and the results would be clear for anyone seeing them.

The basic schematic of the Hartley oscillator can be simplified, for the purpose of analysis: the base resistors can be considered much larger than the input resistance of the transistor, so they can be eliminated, the coupling capacitors can be considered to give a sufficient bandwidth to not influence the response, so they can be shorted out, and the emitter and collector resistors, together with the load (resistance, not impedance, simplification for the sake of analysis) and internal resistance can be combined into one resistance. Now you can redraw the circuit like this:

equivalent small signal

Given some small initial conditions, the circuit can be verified that it works. D1 is there to limit the amplitude, since the whole circuit would be linear, otherwise, and the oscillations would rise to infinity.

Note that $g_m$=0.01 and the load resistor is 101 Ω -- that is part of the necessary condition for the oscillations to start and be sustained (I'll show below). Here, the resistor is 101 Ω to compensate for the slight parasitics in inductors, capacitor, and the OFF resistance of the diode.

Now you can write down the equations Kirchhoff, out of which only one of them is of interest:

$$\begin{align} V_2\left(\dfrac{1}{sL}+sC\right)&=V_1sC \\ \Rightarrow\quad V_2&=V_1\dfrac{sC}{\dfrac{1}{sL}+sC} \\ \Rightarrow\quad V_2&=V_1\dfrac{s^2LC}{s^2LC+1} \tag{1} \end{align}$$

The energies at the output of the transistor and the input to the tank must satisfy:

$$\begin{align} (-g_mV_2)V_1t&\ge\dfrac{V_1^2}{R}t \tag{2} \\ (-g_mV_1\dfrac{s^2L_2C}{s^2L_2C+1})V_1t&\ge\dfrac{V_1^2}{R}t \\ -g_mV_1^2\dfrac{s^2L_2C}{s^2L_2C+1}t&\ge\dfrac{V_1^2}{R}t\quad\Biggr|_{\div V_1^2t} \\ \Rightarrow\quad -g_m\dfrac{s^2L_2C}{s^2L_2C+1}&\ge\dfrac{1}{R} \end{align}$$

At this point it's useful to eliminate the frequency by substituting $s^2=-\omega^2$, and using $\omega^2=1/[C(L_1+L_2)]$:

$$\begin{align} g_m\dfrac{\dfrac{L_2}{L_1+L_2}}{1-\dfrac{L_2}{L_1+L_2}}&\ge\dfrac1R \\ \Rightarrow\quad g_m\dfrac{L_2}{L_1}\ge\dfrac1R \tag{3} \end{align}$$

Which is the condition for oscillation. In your OP you wrote that the ratio of the output to the input voltage is 1, but it should be -1, since they're in anti-phase. If you want to include $Z_L$ in the equation, and the rest, feel free to do so, it will only add to the complexity, but this is the base of it.

(edit)

@LvW in the comments is right, so I'll make this mention: the resistive network for the polarization can influence the gain and, as such, the behaviour of the oscillations.

Here, the VCCS was set up as if having a fixed current gain (in a crude way), thus making possible to have an overall behaviour of a polarized transistor, while discarding the influence of the resistive network. In practice this cannot be done but, for the sake of a more clear result, that's why they were omitted.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Typing error? (6 comments)
Typing error?
LvW‭ wrote over 1 year ago · edited over 1 year ago

It seems that the given expression for the pole frequency contains a small error : For L1=L2 the pole frequency is w²=1/2LC. With your formula it is 1/4LC. However, the given condition for oscillation is correct (based on the mentioned assumptions and simplifications). Nevertheless - one additional comment: You wrote "the base resistors can be considered much larger than the input resistance of the transistor, so they can be eliminated". But you have neglegted the input resistance at the base as well!

a concerned citizen‭ wrote over 1 year ago

LvW‭ You're right, that was a typo, I'll correct it. I was thinking in terms of L1=L2, so I'm probably guilty of "thinking with premeditation". About the input resistance: yes, I've omitted them because they're mostly part of the biasing circuit, and have little to do with the oscillation. They do influence, sure, but then the whole analysis becomes a bit more cumbersome. I tried to keep it simple for the sake of clarity. For the same reason I kept OP's $Z_L$ out of this, too.

MissMulan‭ wrote over 1 year ago

@a concerned citizen but arent they biasing resistors part of the input impedance of the circuit ?Why are we neglecting them?

MissMulan‭ Yes but, as I said, their value is chosen such that it doesn't influence the overall oscillator -- after all, you don't want to have a polarizing network that, wehn added, changes the frequency of the oscillations, do you? Therefore, for the purpose of analysis, you can ignore them since, if their combined value is chosen such that it does not influence the oscillator, they can be consider as not contributing and, as such, they can be removed so that the analysis is more clear. After all, it was the analysis that you had problems with, no?

LvW‭ wrote over 1 year ago · edited over 1 year ago

@Concerned Citizen: I must admit that I cannot agree to your conclusion that "their value is chosen such that it doesn't influence the overall oscillator".

While it is true that the finite input resistance of the transistor stage has only a minor influence on the pole frequency of the R-L-C-L highpass network (oscillation frequency) , it has a relatively large direct influence on the gain of the feedback network - and, hence, on the oscillation condition,

When the design does not take this resistance into account the oscillator might not work because the gain requirement (loop gain>1) is not fulfilled (in your example, this happens even for 100kOhms).

Of course, I agree that for educational purposes, the analyses as presented by you can contain some simplifications. But I think that the impact of such simplifications/neglections should be mentioned.

(Einstein: Make every explanation as simple as possible - but not simpler!)

LvW‭ You're right, my words on the previous reply are a little bit ambiguous. I've modified the answer to include the distinction between the choice made for analysis, and the real life case. (BTW, @ here needs typing the first three letters, no spaces, then the autocomplete should come up; fortunately the notification came because it was a comment under my answer).